I ran my first of 4 20 mile runs I'm planning in my training for this trail marathon. I haven't run that far in nearly 2 1/2 years. The weekend is supposed to be rainy and I really didn't relish the idea of running for several hours in the rain so I was very fortunate to have the afternoon off work, to have my daughter playing at a friend's house, and to have a beautiful afternoon in which to run.
I got to run on my favorite trails which was a treat for a Friday afternoon, and overall I felt really good. I had run 9 miles on Wednesday and on Thursday so my legs weren't fresh at all, but I decided to just enjoy myself and I did. I stopped occasionally and took some pictures. The woods were filled with redbuds, little purple, pink, yellow, and white flowers, tiny white butterflies, large yellow and black striped butterflies, birds, trees bursting into bloom - it was a glorious day.
Running is such a mental thing. I notice all the mental games I play with myself. I repeat a mantra in my head over and over or I breathe the word "Quiet" and try to see how long I can go without thinking - usually not very long at all! I try to just listen to the sounds around me - my footfalls on the trail, the wind in my ears, the birds calling all around me. I often can think of creative things - stories, ideas for things I want to accomplish, strings of words that sound cool together. I love looking around at the woods, trying to spot whatever creature is rustling in the dry leaves or flying through the treetops.
I am at a point in my running where I am not really focusing on finishing in a "time" or setting a personal best. I am enjoying the run, the time in the woods or out on the bridges or riverwalk. I am enjoying the feeling I get after the run - that delicious tired feeling and knowing I've done what I set out to do. I am enjoying my strong legs, the mental toughness that running inspires, the peaceful stillness my mind reaches in the woods. It's a good place to be this spring.
No comments:
Post a Comment