Saturday, February 19, 2011

Celebrating Friendship


"Life is partly what we make it and partly what it is made by the friends we choose." ~ Tennessee Williams


My daughter and I had our 3rd annual Love and Friendship Tea today. We have the best friends in the world. Our home was filled with friends we've had for a lifetime and others who have crossed our paths just this year. People from 5 years old to those in their 70's came to celebrating friendship with us today, and I feel so very blessed.

The kids mostly played out in the yard and in the woods - climbing trees, playing hide 'n seek, running, swinging on the tire swing. The temperature was really mild with blue skies and a slight breeze, ideal of being outdoors.

The grown-ups wandered in and out checking on the kids, eating, laughing, visiting, catching up with old friends and making new ones. I love having a conglomeration of people over and seeing who enjoys talking to whom. I love the circle of friends we have attracted to us and felt so happy today to have so many of them in the same place.

Many of my friends were otherwise occupied or out of town today, but I am filled with their presence today anyway. I went through a period of time when I did not feel like I had many friends, but somehow having this yearly get-together emphasizes for me how lucky I am to have so many special people in my life and in the life of my daughter. I love setting aside one day every year to consciously focus on them and really appreciate their presence in my life. It inspires me to want to nurture these friendships even more in the days to come.

No comments: