Sunday, February 20, 2011

Peace and Solitude

"I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going, and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude." ~ Sasha Azevedo


A perfect, nature-filled day! I made sure to drink tons of juice and water yesterday and this morning and I don't kow if it was being better hydrated or just that my cold/cough has pretty much run its course after 2 weeks, but I felt so much better running this morning.


I ran for 2 1/2 hours and didn't see a single other person the whole time. It was heavenly! I am defintely a loner when it comes to running. I crave the solitude and the quiet. I love being able to run as fast or as slow as I want, to stop and just listen if I want, to veer off on a trail that catches my eye. Occasionally the thought of running with someone else is appealing but for the most part, I highly prefer going solo.


The weather was a bit cooler than it's been for the past few days but it felt great. I saw 2 beautiful red tailed hawks, a coyote, tons of squirrels, and about 20 deer. I heard woodpeckers banging the trees and little peeper frogs already croaking. I found a beautiful feather and saw so many pine cones.


One of the trails I chose today was covered in a carpet of dry grass with bits of green shooting up among the brown ~ a beautiful sight. The sky was overcast and the woods felt almost eerie at times. I chose a totally different path to run today - actually lots of different paths - and I will run them again as they were beautiful. I really love running in the winter and spring - no mosquitos, no extreme heat. I love the way the bare branches look pressed against the winter sky.


I woke up almost nervous about trying to make it 14 miles today after my fiasco of a run last weekend and how I've felt this week, but the morning could not have been any better. I am filled with peace and quiet and alone time to get me started on this week!

No comments: