Saturday, January 15, 2011

Deepest Snow


"I frequently tramped 8 or 10 miles through the deepest snow to keep an appointment with a beech tree, or a yellow birch, or an old acquaintance among the pines." ~ Henry David Thoreau


Blue skies, soft white clouds drifting lazily across them, stark tree branches stretching into the heavens... and snow still covering the ground! The roads are mostly clear , but the ground is still lying under a blanket of white. So unusual for the South and so beautiful!
I took advantage of an unexpected free hour and, instead of running, I grabbed my camera and headed to one of my favorite places in the world. I LOVE trees, love them in all seasons, but there is something about the bare branches of a tree in winter that is particularly enticing to me. The sky was perfect today too, a gorgeous, washed-out blue with cottony clouds. The trees looked incredible. I tramped through the snow and took tons of pictures of my favorites and others that caught my eye.
Other than the trees, I had the great fortune to stumble upon six deer at the edge of the woods and was able to enjoy watching them for a long time as they grazed under the snow and walked about under the trees. I got some lovely pictures of them and as beautiful as the trees were, the deer shots would have to be my favorites.
Even though I didn't get to run today, that hour was so rejuvenating to me. The woods were so quiet and peaceful, the deer were beautiful, and air was crisp but not as cold as it has been. A sacred time and place.

No comments: