Sunday, January 16, 2011

Miles to Go Before I Sleep



"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."
~Robert Frost
I love this poem and the imagery it conjures.
I have had the most wonderful Sunday imagineable. I got to run for a couple of hours - 12 miles or so - and enjoy the snow, the deer, the quiet, the beautiful bare woods, and yes, the stillness. Sunday mornings like this fill me to overflowing with peace and stillness to last me through the week. I ran on the road today since the trails were still very slushy, but my run was wonderful. I could tell I have been running more hills. The hills in the first half of the run are usually a bit difficult, but today I ran up them with hardly a second thought. My knees are a bit tired tonight since I've been running my longer runs on trails, but I feel really good.
The woods were still completely covered in snow. I saw more deer today than I did yesterday - several groups of mamas and younger deer and one gorgeous buck with a full head of antlers. I love to see them and watch as they see me and try to decide whether to stay or turn and run. I got quite close a couple of times today, but inevitably they turn and run and before I can blink they have literally melted into the forrest.
We got to ride horses this afternoon. A whole day spent outdoors enjoying the snow and the animals and the trees and the cold air!

No comments: