Friday, January 7, 2011

Running into Stillness


Running into Stillness - kind of an oxymoron! And yet Stillness is my "word of the year" and running is often how I get there. So in my mind they are actually a perfect fit.

I like to choose a word that I can use throughout the year to remind me of how I want to spend my days. In the past I've chosen, Peace, Inspiration, Creativity. This year STILLNESS crept into my thoughts and remained there. My days are busy - I am a mom, a wife, a writer, a photographer, a runner. In addition to those titles, I also have a full time job. Moments of stillness can be hard to come by on a daily basis. So I would like to devote this year to cultivating STILLNESS in my days -to finding those quiet moments within myself, to creating more moments where I can just be.

I love the idea of meditating, but I often seem to have such a difficult time slowing down enough to sit and be and meditate. I saw a running shirt the other day that said, "Moving Meditation" and I thought - yes! That is often what running is and does for me. While my body is moving, my mind often experiences that stillness and quiet and peace that I crave.

In 2011, I plan to nurture my soul and spirit in many ways - spending time outside, savoring time with my daughter, reading, running, writing in my journal, taking photographs, cooking, growing a garden, playing games, talking with my husband, valuing friendships. I see all of these things as ways to create STILLNESS in my days, to be fully present in "the moment," to spend more time just being.

I'm looking forward to having a place to consolidate some of my ramblings. To place some photographs as I am exploring the art of seeing through a lens what I experience within. I want a place to keep track of my footsteps as I run, my words as I weave them together in ways that please my mind, and a spot to document my journey as I run towards that stillness and peacefulness I am cultivating in my everyday life.

I'm off and running...

No comments: