Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Day to day



To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else. ~Emily Dickinson

Well, it was back to "real life" today - back to school and work. I am going to concentrate on the day to day and making the choices to live only in that day and not worry too much about what I'm going to do in the tomorrows! It's supposed to take 30 ~or is it 40 ~ days to form a new habit. Habits, routines, choices ~ all boils down to the day to day living of life. I incorporate so many things into my daily life that make me who I am and that I really deeply enjoy. Things like running, spending time outside, writing in my journal, reading... I start to almost feel a sense of guilt if I don't do those things. I guess in a way that's what a habit is - doing something until is becomes part of who you are, what you do, where you feel that nagging sense that something is missing in your day if you don't do it.

I would like to focus on incorporating yoga and meditation in my days. I set my alarm for 6:15 today and got up to follow along with Rodney Yee's AM Yoga practice. It was a marvelous way to start the day. I felt like I had really accomplished something even before 6:40 when I got in the shower. It's only a few extra minutes of sleep I am missing and as Rodney says - the rewards will hopefully be great if I continue!

I went down to the river about 7:30 in the freeeeeezing cold weather and took some pictures of the sunrise. I enjoyed being out in the chilly air and watching the light hit the sky in pinks and purples and them burst forth in a blaze of gold to light the sky and water on fire. I didn't see any herons but heard lots of birds waking up and greeting the day. I thought as I was going back to my car at 8:00 how much I had done already to make my day a wonderful one.

I made time to run during the middle of my work day. I really prefer to run first thing in the morning, but I had to be at work too early for that today. Running in the middle of the day is nice too because it breaks the day up and makes it not seem so long.

I am enjoying meditating on "Om Mani Padme Hum." I need to work on the time when meditation fits into my life best.

No comments: