Tuesday, January 24, 2012

River Run



Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known.” ~ Winnie the Pooh

I love having so many running options available to me every day. Downtown streets, mountain trails, paths by the river. Today was a 7 mile run by the river. The weather was just perfect. I love crossing the bridge over the river and feeling a cool, almost cold breeze and watching my breath materialize in the air beside me.

Instead of deer and owls, today I saw heron and geese and lots of small birds - blue jays, doves, cardinals, mockingbirds. We have had lots of storms recently so the river was high. I ran right beside the edge of the water which was up pretty high along the path. Being outside, especially first thing in the morning, is one of my favorite parts of any day. I am focusing on being very aware of everything around me - the sweet gumballs left dangling from bare branches, the different calls the birds make, the lap of the water along the riverside, the sun as it hits the water and bounces off in a glare of light, the bare white trunk of a tree reflecting in the water, the cries of the geese as they fly low and land in the water.

I love the feeling of having had such a special experience already by 9:00 in the morning when my day starts with running outside, taking pictures, and finding a still place within myself that I carry with me for the rest of the day.

No comments: